This Policy contains important information about your personal rights to privacy. Please read it carefully to understand how we use your personal data. We may update this Policy from time to time without notice to you, so please check it regularly.
The provision of your personal data to us is voluntary. However, without providing us with your personal data (as appropriate), you will be unable to join our email list, donate or become a monthly giver, receive our email/SMS updates, campaign, event, and fundraising emails, contribute to our journal and forum, apply to volunteer with us, or apply for employment with us.
1. We collect information about you:
- When you give it to us DIRECTLY: You may give us your personal data in order to join our email list, receive our newsletter, campaign, events, and fundraising emails, and/or donate or become a monthly giver. You may also give us your data when you sign a petition, when you apply to volunteer with us, when you apply for employment with us, and/or when you contact us by phone, email or post.
- When you give it to us INDIRECTLY: Your information may also be provided to us when you follow us or otherwise interact with us on various social media platforms.
- When you give permission to OTHER ORGANIZATIONS to share it or it is AVAILABLE PUBLICLY: We may combine information you provide to us with information available from external publicly available sources. Depending on your privacy settings for social media services, we may also access information from those accounts or services. We use this information to gain a better understanding of you and to improve our communications and fundraising activities.
2. What information do we collect?
We may collect, store and use the following kinds of personal data:
- We will typically store your name, email address and/or phone number, city, state, country and postal code when you contact us or when you sign up to be on our email list. If you donate or become a monthly giver, we will typically store your name, email address, full postal address, and telephone number. However, we may request other information where it is appropriate and relevant, for example, your bank details or debit/credit card details (if you make a donation), or on-line payment account details.
- Information about your computer and about your visits to and use of this website including your IP address, geographical location, browser type, referral source, length of visit and number of page views;
- Any other information shared with us as per clause 1 above.
3. How and why will we use your personal data?
Personal data, however provided to us, will be used for the purposes specified in this Policy or in relevant parts of the website.
We may use your personal information to do one or more of the following:
- Enable you to participate in our campaigns.
- Send you information about our work, campaigns, events and fundraising opportunities and any other information, products or services that we provide (this will not be done without your consent).
- Improve your browsing experience by personalizing your interaction with our website.
- Handle the administration of any donation or other payment you make via credit/debit card, check, bank transfer, payment, or standing order for an automatic direct debit (We will provide your personal data to our online payment system only to the extent necessary for the purposes of processing payments for transactions you enter into with us. We do not store your financial details).
- Collect payments from you and send statements and/or receipts to you.
- Handle the administration of your membership, volunteering, and/or employment application(s).
- Conduct research into the impact of our campaigns.
- Deal with enquiries and complaints made by or about you relating to the website or us in general.
- Audit and/or administer our accounts.
4. Audit and/or administer our accounts.
In addition to the disclosures reasonably necessary for the purposes identified elsewhere in this Policy, we will disclose your information to regulatory and/or government bodies and/or law enforcement agencies upon request only when required to do so in order to satisfy legal obligations that are binding on us.
5. Security of and access to your personal data
We endeavor to ensure that there are appropriate and proportionate technical and organizational measures to prevent the loss, destruction, misuse, alteration, unauthorized disclosure or of access to your personal information. Your personal information is only accessible by appropriately trained board members, staff and contractors.
6. Your rights
Where we rely on your consent to use your personal information, you have the right to withdraw that consent at any time. This includes the right to ask us to stop using your personal information for campaign purposes or to be unsubscribed from our email list at any time. You also have the following rights:
- Right to be informed – you have the right to be told how your personal information will be used. This Policy and other policies and statements used on our website and in our communications are intended to provide you with a clear and transparent description of how your personal information may be used.
- Right of rectification – if you believe our records of your personal information are inaccurate, you have the right to ask for those records to be updated.
- Right to restrict processing – you have the right to ask for processing of your personal data to be restricted if there is disagreement about its accuracy or legitimate usage. To exercise these rights, please send a description of the personal information in question using the contact details in section 10 below. To unsubscribe from our email list you can simply click on the unsubscribe link that is located at the bottom of our newsletter emails, or simple email us with ‘UNSUBSCRIBE’ in the subject line. Where we consider that the information with which you have provided us does not enable us to identify the personal information in question, we reserve the right to ask for (i) personal identification and/or (ii) further information.
7. Policy amendments
8. Third party websites
9. Updating information
You can check the personal data we hold about you and ask us to update it where necessary by emailing us.
Please let us know if you have any queries or concerns whatsoever about the way in which your data is being processed by either contacting us through our Contact Form or by writing to us at the following address:
International Center for 9/11 Justice
610 Broadway #335
Newburgh, NY 12550